At Canyon Crossing Recovery, the canyons, mountains, and red rocks of Arizona provide a beautiful backdrop for our women’s only adventure therapy experiences. There is something about tackling the challenge of a ropes course, hike, backpacking trip, or outdoor experience that you can’t gain from more traditional therapy settings. Adventure therapy offers opportunities for women to work cooperatively, spend time in solitude, and get away from the addiction triggers that drag them down.
Benefits of Adventure & Wilderness Therapy
Canyon Crossing adventure therapy opportunities are supervised by our team of addiction specialists, and women benefit by:
- Enjoying nature. Nature is a healing force. Studies show that natural environments have a positive effect on mental health and mood. Those recovering from addiction may find peace outdoors that they never thought possible.
- Engaging in teamwork. Ropes courses, strenuous hikes, and other adventure therapy challenges often require women to work together to problem-solve and overcome physical and emotional difficulties. Clients then take the lessons learned from these experiences and apply them to their sobriety challenges and daily relationships.
- Getting out of their comfort zone. However destructive, addiction becomes a comfortable place for clients. As unfamiliar outdoor settings bring anxiety, fear, and other emotions to the surface, participants learn to deal with them in the moment and develop coping mechanisms that apply to other points of their recovery journey.
- Experiencing natural consequences. In nature, as in life, actions have consequences. As women face these natural consequences, they learn to be personally and socially accountable for their actions—and to see themselves as resilient people.
- Building strong friendships. Canyon Crossing Recovery is about living in community. The relationships forged during our adventure trips become a lifeline for clients as they support one another through the various stages of sobriety training.
Adventure Therapy for Women at Canyon Crossing
Canyon Crossing’s adventure therapy programming is beneficial for those recovering from drug addiction, alcohol addiction, prescription drug addiction, opiate addiction, mental health disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other conditions. Many participants discover new interests when they spend time in nature—and these healthy pastimes provide a constructive way to manage the pain, addiction triggers, and emotional trauma that must be dealt with during recovery.
To learn more about our Arizona adventure therapy for drug and alcohol addiction, call 800.651.7254 or submit a private online form. A member of our credentialed team will be in touch promptly!
Adventure Therapy Photo Gallery
Click on images to enlarge.